At least 40 houses were destroyed in a massive fire that broke in a sukumbasi settlement (slum) in Balkhu, in front of the fruits market in Kuleshwor, Kathmandu last night.
The fire was sparked by a traditional oil-fed lamp at the house of Man Bahadur BK that quickly spread to neighboring houses.
As many as 15 Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinders blew up, razing down food items, clothes, furniture and all other belongings in all 40 houses on Saturday night, according to local Shyam Das Pandey.
The Himalayan Times reports that three people were hurt in the blaze. The firefighting team of Nepal Army mobilized five fire brigades to douse the massive fire.